Friday, October 24, 2008

So I had this thought....

As I was blow-drying my hair this morning. I was thinking about how many times I have been so unsure of stepping out and being obedient in what I felt like God was asking me to do. I was so terribly unsure, and absolutely doubtful. And I was thinking back through some of those times, a thought occured to me, you should always trust the One with the plan.

When you were little and your family took a road trip, did you ever try to direct your mom (or dad) on which way you thought they should go, where to turn, what exit to take?

Those of you who know me well, know that my husband has an affectionate nick name for me - "Kristen-Kristen." I have given him so many back seat, or passenger seat, instructions in our relationship, he finally branded me as his own personal GPS navigation system. So instead of Tom-Tom, he asks his Kristen-Kristen.

That was a total digression from my point, but it came to mind, so I thought I would mention it.

Back on topic now....

I would be willing to bet that very few of us, if any, were brave enough to correct our fathers on the direction he should take on a road trip. And so if we are so unquestioning of our earthly fathers, trusting that they know where they are going and how to get there (which is a real faith act, considering they may not have had a clue!) - why is it that we are so quick to question whether God's way really is the right way?

Why must we incessantly ask God to speak more clearly, repeat Himself or turn on the neon exit signs? Why is it so difficult for us to trust that He holds the map? Not only that, but He made the map for goodness sake!

We question Him at each turn, wanting to know why we went right when left looked so much easier.

God helped me see the big picture on this yesterday, He helped me see that my questioning and constant doubt is a testimony to how in-control and powerful I believe Him to be.

So let's all stop talking to God as though He does not have our best interests, our eternal good, in mind and let's trust Him and take the paths He directs us on, knowing that if there was a better way, He would have shown us.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

to further your point...think about the song in Fireproof " I will worship while I am waiting". Not only is it hard to trust Him to lead, it is hard to do it on HIS time table...but how many more blessings do we receive if we just do the way He wants us to. And why is it that we get so overwhelmed with blessings when we do, BUT then the very next time we question again. Man, life is hard...or do we just make it hard? Wow, I think I am blogging on your blog.